Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Fried Bananas and Coconut Custard

Did you ever get one of those bunches of bananas that was so green that they just never ripened? We've had one of those for a few weeks now. It was threatening to simply go bad. That was the point at which I peeled them, fried them in coconut oil and discovered that they turned sweet in the pan!

Fried Bananas

1 bunch of questionably green bananas or a good bunch of not-too-soft ripe bananas. (This would also be superb with plantains)

2 tbs coconut oil

Peel and slice the bananas. Fry them until gooey in the middle and slightly crisp on the outsides. Serve with chilled coconut custard. It would also be nice to put that custard into an ice cream maker. Hmm. Yep. If you were wondering, San Francisco is about 80 degrees. Our apartment, with the malfunctioning radiators and timed steam heat system is probably about 90 degrees by dinner time. Yuck.

We're eating it chilled now. Even with the solidified coconut oil on it, it's delicious.

3 comments:

Frederick said...

Hello Jennifer,

I almost woke up my wife just to show her this recipe of yours. It's a good thing I was able to control myself. I'll just have to wait for her to wake up so that I can request that she prepare me this Fried Bananas and Coconut Custard recipe.

Thanks a lot for this!

Cheers,
Frederick
www.coconut-oil-central.com
Your Drugstore in a Bottle

Jennifer said...

Hi Frederick,

I'm glad you found this recipe and I apologize for catching this a year after you posted! Sometimes my life just runs away with me.

Did you try it? Yummy, huh? One of my favorite things to do these days is to invent nutritious foods that can masquerade as desserts. :) I'll check out your website.

Best,
Jen

Frederick said...

Hi Jen,

I have certainly tried it! Delicious! Will have more of it, that's for sure... :-)

Cheers,
Frederick