Monday, January 11, 2010

Favorite spice mix - homemade curry

A week or so ago I mixed up this vegetable ferment that turned out really good. Our friend's vegan son loved it and she asked me about how to make the spice mix that went into it. So here it is. It's actually a home made curry. You need a grinder or mortar and pestle to make it. Personally I like the m&p, but I usually go for the tactile experience when given options. Also, measurements are approximate. My unit of measurement was the cupped palm of my hand, which is about 1 teaspoon. :)

I got all spices from Other Avenues.

1 teaspoon whole cumin seed
2 teaspoons whole coriander seed
1/8-1/4 teaspoon each fennel, fenugreek, black peppercorn
fresh turmeric root - about the size of the top of the average thumb. I think, grated, it was about 1 teaspoon.
2-3 cloves garlic (this varies depending on what you're making, of course - my general rule is to add one more than I think is necessary. :) )

Put all seeds into a small fry pan or an oven pan. Toast them gently over medium heat or in a 350F oven until aromatic and slightly toasty looking. (Don't walk away here - it happens quickly!)

Put toasted seeds into grinder or mortar and grind well, although it's not important that it be fully pulverized.

If you're making a hot dish and have onions to saute, add your spices to the onions while they're cooking. Add the garlic and turmeric near the end of the saute, before adding meat/broth/beans/veggies or whatever dish you're making.

If you're making a kraut, toast and grind seeds, then add them with whole cloves of garlic and grated turmeric to the bottom of the crock before adding your vegetables and brine.

No comments: