Saturday, January 29, 2011

Tip of the day...

Can't eat black pepper and like it? Every time I eat mustard greens that's exactly what the taste recalls. If they're too bitter, slow-saute at least one medium onion, sliced, then add the mustard greens after at least 15 minutes. Add a dash of salt - a whole half-teaspoon for a large pan's worth of greens and onions to bring out the flavor that lies under the bitterness that's just so darned good for us. :) I've found that Real Salt from Utah has an unusual, mineral-y, also slightly peppery flavor that makes me wonder whether it's rich in magnesium, which is always a nice thing.

4 comments:

Zenseer said...

Good tip. Thanks for sharing.
I read somewhere that papaya seeds can be used as a peppercorn substitute but I haven't tried it.

Jennifer said...

Nice thought - I've seen some organic papayas around from Hawaii, although I have a feeling that they'll be there in force this summer. I'm guessing that the seeds need to be dried?

Zenseer said...

Here's the "recipe" from "The Allergy Self-Help Cookbook" by Marjorie Hurt Jones, R.N.:

"Preheat the oven to 200F. Cut the papaya in half, and scoop the seeds into a strainer, reserving the flesh for another use. Wash under running water and drain.
Spread in a single layer on a baking sheet or jelly-roll pan. Bake for 1 1/2 hours, or until the seeds are brittle, shriveled, and look like peppercorns (test one by biting on it).
Place in a pepper mill. Use a you would dried peppercorns."
Makes about 1/4 cup.

Zenseer said...

I think I am becoming sensitive to black pepper as well. I think ginger or cayenne can be used a substitutes. Somebody also mentioned "grains of paradise": http://www.tigersandstrawberries.com/2006/06/22/finding-substitutes-for-black-pepper/