Wednesday, February 16, 2011

A plan for more broth, slightly improvised.

I don't have time to make both a broth and a beef stew, and we're a bit low on stuff, so I'm going to make a cross between the two. Here's the plan:

I have 2 bags of those lovely little meaty soup bones, but no knuckle bones. (They're actually tastier to me, at least, than oxtail, which are about three times the price, if not more...)
I have some chicken broth - just a half a jar.
I'm low on carrots and celery, but have some nice big onions and a bunch of kale ribs saved over from the last 2 bunches.
I have a big bunch of chard and (surprise!) a bag of mushrooms (I don't remember getting those!).

Now it's just a matter of deciding whether or not to include the kale ribs or to make a separate kale broth...Either way, I'll make a nice broth with a bit of carrot, celery and I'll saute the onions instead of putting in a raw one. I'll put in a decent amount of garlic, add ghee and maybe a bit of gelatin for richness to make up for the lack of a knucklebone.

I think I'll make a chard, onion and mushroom saute on the side instead of putting them in the pot, and I'll brown the beef, do the whole thing in the slow cooker and fish out the beef bones either before bed or first thing, and take off the meat, then replace the bones and maybe add some roast drippings.

Or maybe tomorrow I can take that broth and start a stew then with veggies and some ground beef...? When that will happen is beyond me, but I can dream. :)

This is what I do to make a broth when we're starting to be low on things.

No comments: