Wednesday, November 26, 2008

It's a (mostly) GAPS Thanksgiving!

So, I made it to the sixth week and although I've had some awful setbacks here and there, I'm starting to feel better slowly. I think it will take the entire year, but I do see some nice improvements. And I'm eating much better.

Foods I've successfully introduced:
citrus, (raw) dairy in the form of butter, ghee, yogurt and cheese, greens, possibly macadamia nuts, although the jury is out on those.

Honestly, now that I can thoroughly enjoy a dessert of dates with coconut butter and the hopes of adding nuts to that...and CHEESE! My previously favorite food! Of course the raw stuff is the more expensive, but still...it's not something I'd eat all the time.

So here's our (mostly) GAPS Thanksgiving plan:

Chicken soup with giblets, greens, onion and carrot, coconut milk kefir and a bit of sea salt.
1 chicken and 1 duck (no one here likes turkey), roasted, using butter to add fat to the breast
Cauliflower with raw butter and olive oil
Brown rice for everyone but me with butter and olive oil
Sauerkraut with cabbage, kale, carrots and radishes
Pickled cucumbers
Cranberry sauce with dates and orange bits
Raw milk cheddar and manchego with crackers for those who partake
Pumpkin custard with either creme fraiche or creme fraiche made into ice cream, depending on time, outdoor chill and mood.

I'll probably blend up a batch of squash cookies with the leftovers from the custard...but that's probably not going to happen until the day after.

So I have the pumpkin baked and the cranberry sauce made...although I discovered that Snackboy had eaten all the oranges that I got in preparation. (Serves me right for not saying anything.) He just came back with a bag of organic oranges and I have to add one of them...then it's done. I hesitate to use the blender with the baby asleep, but there will be no other time for custard. That's next.

Recipes soon!

Happy T-day!

No comments: