Sunday, April 26, 2009

While I chop late season celeriac... (Recipe: Coconut Kefir/Pear Shake)

It's been a while.
That's the trouble with GAPS. Just when I figure out something interesting to say, the kitchen calls again...time to make yogurt, or chop veggies, or take the bones out from soaking, or time to put the chicken in, or take it out...etc.
It never ends.

So here I am, overdue with my own preparations to get our girl into bed, chopping celery root for tomorrow's (not even today's) soup. Never mind that I have to put that 24 hour yogurt away, too.

It takes an amazing amount of effort to keep us in food, and to keep food around that keeps Little Moo's interest. It's not like she's a sweets addict like some kids and won't eat anything else, but she does turn on and off of things unpredictably.

The other news around here is that after several fine months of pleasant and harmonious dairy ingestion it appears that both she and I are reacting to the yogurt. For me it's digestive - boy is that new - and for her, it's rashes...very similar to mine and in the same places. For me cheese, ghee and 24 hour sour cream appear to be fine. I'm not sure about her. I know that the precious sheep's milk yogurt that she adores gave her a rash in about 15 minutes after eating. Of course, it's packaged, no matter how pure, and is probably only cultured a few hours, so it could be lactose. 

Either way, we went dairy-free again today and the rashes are fading. Yay!

Here's a recipe that went over very well with the family these last 2 days:

Coconut Kefir/Pear Shake

2 ripe pears
1 1/2 cup coconut milk kefir
1/2 small ripe banana
dash cinnamon
dash nutmeg

Peel, core and cut up pears. Cut banana into a few pieces. Add these to blender. Add kefir to blender. Add cinnamon and nutmeg to blender. Blend well. Enjoy. It hardens to a spoonable consistency in the fridge, which makes it very pleasant for a girl who's craving rich yogurty goodness. Adding some nuts to the blend would make it a more complete meal. 

I have an idea for a sort of coconut kefir mango lassi sort of thing that I intend to try tomorrow. 

No comments: