Wednesday, May 13, 2009

A GAPS variation on Coconut Milk Custard

If you look back to last August, you'll see that I came up with a coconut milk custard to make for Rain's 2nd birthday. Well, I planned on making that today, only GAPS friendly* so I could partake.  My idea was to add gelatin and remove the sugar so it would be more gut-friendly. 

Everything seemed to go wrong. I thought the egg curdled, the stevia smelled weird to me. It seemed too liquid. I actually went to the store to get more eggs and made the one from August with rapadura in it. I figured that Snackboy and Little Moo could enjoy but I'd sit on the sidelines, perhaps trying the ruined version. 

Both of them enjoyed the rapadura version. Little Moo liked hers so much that she took offense when I tried to clean her - she wanted to lick it off!

Anyway, the first version was INCREDIBLE...and no sugar! Just dates and a few drops of stevia. Here it is:

1 can whole organic coconut milk
3 egg yolks, preferably from pastured eggs
1 tb Bernard Jensen's gelatin
5 drops stevia
4 or 5 dates, pitted and chopped

Take 3 or 4 custard cups or little canning jars and set aside. Line the bottoms with dates. Heat the coconut milk in a double boiler. Add the gelatin, stir well. Beat the egg yolks. Add them slowly while stirring with a whisk until the yolks thicken the mixture slightly. Remove from heat. Add the stevia, then pour on top of the dates. Allow to cool somewhat, then cover and chill for a few hours. 

Another lovely addition to this would be about 1 ts vanilla, added at the end with the stevia. 

*Well, almost GAPS friendly. It has a small amount of stevia in it. It's entirely possible to leave that out, too.

No comments: