Sunday, August 2, 2009

GAPS-friendly white bean, eggless pancakes

Mwahahaha!

Today is bean day on the 4 day rotation diet. So at some point I have to bake something and pancakes are sometimes easy. Sometimes not. They don't like to hold together and today is NOT egg day. Sigh. Julie Matthews turned me onto the possibility of chia seeds as a binder. Actually, it's the gel they make in water. Unfortunately it was nowhere nearly enough. I think I'd have to use way too many seeds and the cakes would taste weird at that point. If I had a ton of flour to try stuff with, I may do that sometime, but I only made 1 cup. Thilly me. So I added guar gum. That seemed to do it, although it's not perfect.

White navy beans make a great neutral tasting flour. To make them GAPS and digestion-friendly I presoaked and dried them before grinding (it also makes the batter testing a bit more easy on the gut).

To make up for the missing fat from the egg I made sure there was a nice amount of extra added. I used nut butter with the dairy so that I wouldn't have to make them too dairy-centric and because today is also nut day. :)

I would think that you could substitute nut milks or coconut milk (kefired or not) for water and sour cream, more nut butter, beef tallow, lard or coconut oil for ghee. We have to stay away from coconut for a while. :(

Lastly, please feel free to play with the amount of banana. Little Moo kept noshing as she mashed so there may be a bit more or less since I added as she subtracted.

White Bean Flour:

2 cups white navy beans, soaked overnight in 2 tbs baking soda and 6 cups water in a mason jar.

Drain and thoroughly rinse beans. Spread on a big shallow pan and dry in an oven at the lowest temp until dry. (Several hours to overnight.)

Put into a VERY STRONG blender and blend into a fine flour.

White Bean Eggless Pancakes

1 c white bean flour (see above)
2 tbs melted ghee
pinch salt
1 small mashed banana
1 tsp chia seed gelatin (soak and strain 1 tsp of seeds...keep the gel)
1 tsp guar gum
4 ts (1 1/2 tb) nut butter
1/2 c water
2 heaping tb sour cream
1 tsp soda
1 tsp vanilla

Blend together everything but soda in a bowl. Add the soda. blend well.

Fry in pan with a bit of ghee. It takes a while to cook. When they're done they're quite brown, but very tasty. Little Moo gobbled them down with maple syrup. I'm on GAPS, so I had a smear of nut butter and some fresh mango on them. Yum.

6 comments:

Zenseer said...

Interesting but how would this work with soaked & thoroughly cooked beans?
I read somewhere that 1 cup bean flour = 3 cups cooked beans.
I've been considering bean flours but I'm worried about the phytates and digestibility of these flours since they are made with raw dried beans (at least commercial ones).
The other option would be to soak, dried and grind the beans yourself.

Jennifer said...

These beans were soaked and then dried in the oven overnight. Actually, the drying I think made for finer grinding in the end. As for digestibility, I'm definitely the canary in the coal mine, so I always have to soak and soak well...

I'm sure you could make cooked beans work. I'd agree that 1c flour = 3 c cooked mashed beans. I'd also be sure to reduce the liquid.

I'm also now remembering that when Little Moo was starting on beans, that I'd make bean mash pancakes and they were DELICIOUS. Let's see - I used garbanzo (not on GAPS then) which was the tastiest. White beans were also nice. Black and red beans were weird looking as pancakes.

Zenseer said...

I made your pancakes using cooked kidney beans...They were delicious; I will make them again.
I had to add a little bit of rice flour because the batter was too runny.

Jennifer said...

Sounds great. On GAPS I'd have to find something other than rice flour. Hmm. Oh! mushrooms might soak it up...but it has to be savory.

Zenseer said...

What about coconut flour?
I absorbs quite a bit of liquid.

Jennifer said...

Good idea.