Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Mango Chutney

After months and months of lactofermented veggies (for me it's been a few years, actually) it was time for something different. I tried a mango version of the Nourishing Traditions Papaya Chutney. It's delicious. I left off the rapadura and it's STILL amazing.

Basically, get a small onion, bunches of mint and cilantro, respectively, 3 big mangoes, a red pepper, and mix them up in a bowl. Cube the fruit, julienne the pepper, and chop the leaves of the herbs coarsely. Chop the onion, too.

In a separate bowl, mix together a few ts salt, 1/4 c whey, 1/2 c lime juice and 1/2 c water.

Put the fruit mixture into a quart mason jar, punch it down with something like a meat hammer or a ladle. Add the liquid, adding enough water to fill to 1" above the fruit. If anything floats to the top, try to push it down.

Seal it up and keep it in a warm place for 2 days, then refrigerate.

The trick here is that almost anything blended with whey and left to ferment tastes great. So, for a small jar of mustard, relish or whatever gets a few tablespoons and a quart gets 1/4 cup.

5 comments:

Zenseer said...

I haven't really fermented fruits and veggies yet. I mostly ferment diluted fruits juices and teas/nourishing herbal infusions.
I bet this mango chutney tastes delicious though...

Jennifer said...

How do you ferment the liquids? I'd love to try that again, although I haven't had much success with anything other than coconut milk.

Zenseer said...

I use whey (from raw milk preferably). It works well for teas and juices. But not great for nut milks (I think it's better to prepare these as yogurts).

Jennifer said...

Do you think I could try using the whey from a coconut kefir? Or a spoon of that? We often take time off of dairy, although at the moment I've been using dairy whey.

Zenseer said...

You probably can since it's liquid (some people use sauerkraut juice) and fermented...But only experimentation will tell ;).