Sunday, May 15, 2011

Spring juice!





I knew over the last few days when I didn't have time to create dishes with their usual hidden vegetable content that Little Moo would most likely not get the vegetables that she needed. Luckily she's able to eat sheeps' milk yogurt every few days at this point, so she's not completely without calcium intake. Even so, I like to make a habit of juicing occasionally to fill in the necessary places in our diet. It's also something that Little Moo can help with, which she likes. 

Today I hit the farmers' market and then got odds and ends at Whole Foods afterwards.

The cherries and apple make it a bit sweeter than usual for us. To our palette it's perfect, maybe a bit too sweet. For those folks still drinking super-sweet bottled juice it might seem a bit earthy, so adjust to taste...

Spring Juice

about 7 fresh carrots
4 stalks celery
2 small red beets
2 large leaves kale
1 medium apple, cored
7 pitted sweet red cherries
1 peeled lime

4 comments:

Majica said...

I love the big jar of Glutamine in the photo. It lets me know you are in MY tribe. Juice sounds delicious too!

Jennifer said...

Ha! I can't believe you recognized that thing on sight, even with the label out of sight! :)

Yep. About every other morning. The kid gets it each day. Stuff's pretty amazing.

Zenseer said...

Be careful: beets, celery and carrots are high in oxalate that can bind with the little calcium your daughter gets.
Since going dairy free (casein intolerance), I take bone meal as calcium supplement (as well as transdermal magnesium and fermented cod liver oil + pasture butter (which I tolerate) to fix the calcium).

Jennifer said...

Hey, good point. Maybe more of a greens/fruit combo. I'll look into supplement revisions for her-she's already on CLO and D3, and gets bone broth in about half of her meals-as she gets older, though, I get more concerned about calcium/magnesium. At least she can have sheep's milk yogurt now.