Monday, December 7, 2009

Elderberry Coconut Kefir - It's a tasty drink...no, it's a flu preventative...no, it's a sports drink!

I had this idea to make a kefir drink that was also a flu remedy recently. The culturing process makes the elderberry syrup even more potent and all the good stuff in the coconut water even better. Get the syrup version that is as unadulterated as possible, sans alcohol. The unsweetened tincture generally contains citric acid and glycerin, but it's still pretty clean.

3 cups coconut water, warmed to room temperature
4-6 tsp elderberry tincture
1 package of kefir starter

Mix the coconut water with the tincture. Thoroughly mix the starter and pour into a jar. Screw on the top lightly and leave at room temperature overnight to 24 hours. Chill and drink.

My daughter couldn't get enough of it...but do remember that 1 or 2 teaspoons of elderberry tincture is what you're supposed to take 2 to 4 times per day, depending on how proactive you're being. So that's maybe a cup at most!

4 comments:

Zenseer said...

Interesting!
I have some homemade elderberry tincture (alcohol based) that I could use though I'll have to review the dosage since glycerites dosage is different than regular tinctures (at least that's what I concluded from your post).

Jennifer said...

What's the dosage for the alcohol-based tincture? Our doctor has us on a single squirt for the squirt once or twice a day. Adults get 2. With the stuff I used in the drink it's 1 teaspoon for kids and 2 for adults up to 3 times a day.

That's very cool that you make your own remedies.

Jennifer said...

Slight correction - I think the syrup (which had no sugar, honey or flavoring added) was up to 4 times a day...somewhat more dilute than the non-alcohol tincture...Since then I've gotten the tincture version.
It's always easier to get a kid to take fewer doses of remedy in a day.

Zenseer said...

The basic dosage for the tincture for an adult is 15-30 drops 3x/day (for children I'm not sure, it's based on age and weight).

As for the syrup, the author of the recipe I followed says 3 tbsp/day (which is a bit much since half of the syrup is made of raw honey) as a preventative measure (more if you're sick).

I find that 1 tbsp/day is sufficient.