Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Kitchen Sink Soup - GAPS style

I know it looks like all I make is desserts, but really, that's what I do for fun and many of them I can't even sample because they have too many disaccharides.

Okay. So this is what I eat for two, sometimes 3 meals in a day, in as many variations as is possible to come with over a year and 3 months.

This version was started with bone broth from buffalo ribs that had lots of meat on them.

Then I sauteed a whole yellow onion for 25 minutes. Generally I use ghee, but I thought I'd take a break and use grapeseed oil and drippings from yesterday's chicken. Then I added chopped spring garlic and continued until they were almost transparent - just a few minutes more. I added vegetables I had around - a bunch of chopped spinach, some peas, about five stalks of celery chopped and continued to saute it until everything was coated and the spinach was slightly wilty. I stuck a sprig of thyme, a pinch of oregano and a bay leaf in a bouquet garni bag and tossed it in, then added 1/2 teaspoon of salt, then the broth. It boiled, then settled to a simmer until done. I think this one took 15 minutes. Remove bouquet garni. Put in bowl. Add either kraut or coconut milk kefir. Eat. Enjoy.

Oh, I forgot to mention that somewhere along the way I like to add a bit of Bernard Jensen's gelatin. Generally about a tablespoon for a large pot of soup. I look to see if it gels when it's cold. If it's hard or almost hard after a night in the fridge, it's enough gelatin. If it's watery, add more.

No comments: