Monday, September 5, 2011

The Elephant In The Kitchen

It's been three years since I started the GAPS Diet and somewhat longer than that since I became acquainted with the work of Weston A. Price. It was soon after that I began to notice something that very rarely gets mentioned and seems to stick out like a two-ton pachyderm hiding behind the refrigerator door.

Food is one of those things in our lives that is way more than the sum of its parts. The relationships that we have with food, the way we get it or raise it, cook and eat it speak loudly to how we live on the earth, relate to each other, and to what are our most deeply held opinions and values. Our eating habits, rules and taboos make us part of a tribe, or not.

People like me who cook and eat along the lines of Weston A. Price/Nourishing Traditions tend to be on the right of the political/cultural spectrum. Those who are more on the left seem to be more likely to be vegetarians and appear to be in a different reality when it comes to food and nutrition. This isn't always the case, I'm sure, but so far I have, as yet, to be proven wrong. 

There. I've said it. Throw your tomatoes now, if you like. It's true. It's weird. It puts me in company that ordinarily would never share any kind of mental space with me and my ilk and visa versa. Or at least, that's what I thought before I started researching how to improve my family's health through diet. 

It's a lonely road being a political and cultural liberal with this kind of nutritional philosophy. Occasionally I hear other progressives speaking out who have discovered that current science points human beings towards pastured animal-based foods rather than a solely plant-based diet, like Lierre Keith and my original mentor, Julie Matthews. It's a relief when I do hear a voice that speaks of eating compassionately for the environment and for our bodies, that the cycle of life includes death, and a world of intensive agriculture without animal husbandry is a scary one to contemplate. It's rare, though, that I meet a liberal in person who is either on GAPS or following WAP's philosophies. Our family fills our plates with rich stews, fermented condiments and vegetables, raw milk yogurt and cheeses while just about everyone we know is avoids too much fat and feels that they should apologize if they choose to eat chicken instead of soy products. It's not fun to eat alone, even when the food is delicious. I keep hoping to find liberals who are on a similar journey, but so far that's not been the case. 

On the other hand, I've recently come into contact with a cousin that I never knew that I had. Like many folks on that side of my family (most of whom I have never met and am only now learning exist) she is a conservative and a Libertarian. She also packs her freezer with local, grass-fed beef. She cooks locally and from scratch, believes in giving her beautiful and healthy children whole fats and good food, at least as our family would know it. When I post a sharp comment on Facebook about genetically modified organisms or the undeclared toxins in commonly available toiletries she often posts supportively with all my liberal friends. We are careful not to talk politics since we're both pretty opinionated. We've made many a connection through how we feed our families and it's a blessing. 

There aren't too many situations these days in which rightwards- and leftwards-leaning people can connect like this. I am thankful for this one. 


3 comments:

Unknown said...

That was a great blog post! I for one appreciate your willingness to tell it like it is and I whole-h agree with you. Food is absolutely intrinsically tied to who people are and how they feel. Whether it be expressing ones cultural heritage or political views, expressing love, or using it as destructive tool. It really can divide or unite us. I most often use food as an expression of love for my family. My daughter is an exchange student and she says the thing she misses most is my cooking. In my family, food always brings us together and the care I take in choosing ingredients and preparing dishes is my way of saying -I LOVE you THIIISSSS much!!!

I am always baffled to see how willingly people put themselves in boxes with decisive little labels - If I believe this, so, I must also believe that... Well I guess on the bright side, it can relieve some folks of the task of.... thinking.

I believe that I should respect the animals we take as food. I also believe in my 2n Amendment protection to keep and bare arms. I feel that many corporations who produce our food, do so irresponsibly and unethically, I also believe in free enterprise, lower taxes, smaller government, and wholeheartedly disagree with the notion that we should financially punish those who are responsible and productive by giving their hard earned money to those who are not responsible and productive......I think Ronald Reagan was the best president ever.... and I'm gay

Ok, enough pontificating. Thank you again Jennifer for your thoughtful and blunt kitchen rantings ; p Hopefully it got people thinking... maybe one more person will peak out of their box and see a world of wonderful options!

I consider meeting you as a blessing as well.

maveet said...

Beautiful site, Jen. I'm new to GAPS, and appreciate your insights re who tends to go for which food system. I'm a former SF/SF Bay Area Vegetarian, vegan, macrobiotic. I've been profoundly disabled with ME/CFS for nearing 9 years, and only this week discovered the underlying GI. 5 days just off gluten, pre really getting fully into GAPS, and i feel better than all these years. Namaste from east coast Australia.

Jennifer said...

Welcome, Maveet!
I'm glad that you're already starting to heal.